The mines in Val del Biois
Val del Biois had always been famous for its mining activities, and a proof of this lies in the names of the places. Up to 1964 Canale d’Agordo’s original name was Forno ( furnace ) di Canale. Here there were many fusion furnaces where iron and copper coming from the nearby Val Gares were forged and then sent to Serenissima of Venice
The forests were important because they gave the wood which turned into carbon to feed the furnaces and also the water of the local streams was important to feed the furnaces.
The mining activities atracted many German people to work here and the past presence of these foreign workers is still alive in the dialect which absorbed many language peculiarity.
This activity became so important that since 1458 Forno di Canale ( actually Canale d’Agordo ) became the most important economic and cultural centre of the valley
The mining works went on till to 1748 ca when a flood destroyed all the local furnaces.
The caves were spread all over the valley. Nowadays there are still witnesses on the territory of the ancient presence of mines.