Caviola is a little hamlet in the Dolomites, at the foot of Cime d’Auta, part of the Marmolada Group.
It belongs to the municipality of Falcade but it has always had its own identity.
The village is now the reconstruction of the old hamlet which was burnt in a fire on 20th August 1944 by the German soldiers. In 1974 the local artist Augusto Murer created a sculpture for the martyrs which was located on the main square Sandro Pertini.
Still untouched is the little church Madonna della Salute, built on the hill over Caviola in 1713 and now symbol of the village.
The origin of the church is covered by a mistery which tells that after years of efforts and illnesses the inhabitants decided to build a church naming it after Madonna della Salute. From the local mountains people brought many large stones down in the village where they wanted the church, but the day after the stones were unexpectedly founded on the hill over Caviola, the place which was probably choosen by Madonna for her Church.
Nowadays Caviola is the ideal starting point for many escursions towards Cime d’Auta, the local mountains and to the nearby hamlets such as Fregona, Feder, carfon, Sappade.